rules and regulations
Student Loan Marketplace’s iPad for College Giveaway
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A purchase of a product or service from OVERTURE TECHNOLOGIES, OVERTUREMARKETPLACE.COM or any of its affiliated companies will not improve the chance of winning. Void where prohibited. Subject to all federal, state, and local laws. Participation requires Internet access.
2. WHO CAN PARTICIPATE? To participate in the “OVERTUREMARKETPLACE.COM IPAD FOR COLLEGE GIVEAWAY” Contest you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of participation
- Be a high school senior or eligible for graduation in the 2010 calendar year, or a current college student, and intend to enroll as a full-time college student in the 2010-2011 academic year OR the parent of an eligible student as outlined above.
- Be a legal resident of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia, including APO/FPO addresses excluding Puerto Rico.
- Have not previously won a prize from a contest conducted by the Overture Student Loan Marketplace within the past 12 months (1 year).
- Employees of OVERTURE TECHNOLOGIES and OVERTUREMARKETPLACE.COM, its parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, web site providers or other parties involved in any aspect with the creation, production, operation, execution and fulfillment of the Contest and the immediate family members (parents, siblings, children and spouse) and/or those living in the same household (whether or not related) of each are not eligible to win.
3. CONTEST PERIOD. The “OVERTUREMARKETPLACE.COM IPAD FOR COLLEGE GIVEAWAY” Contest will take place beginning at 8:00:01 AM (EST) on August 18, 2010 and ending at 4:59:59 PM (EST) on August 27, 2010 (The “Contest Period”).
- Entries will be accepted beginning at 8:00:01 AM (EST) on August 18, 2010 and ending at 4:59:59 PM (EST) on August 27, 2010.
- The winner will be announced on Friday, August 27, 2010.
4. HOW TO ENTER. In order for Entrant to enter this contest, he or she must do one of the following:
- “Like” the Overture Student Loan Marketplace page on Facebook (“Facebook Page,” located at www.facebook.com/privatestudentloans) OR
- “Follow” the Overture Student Loan Marketplace account on Twitter (“Twitter Account,” located at www.twitter.com/loanmarketplace) and post a “Tweet” on Twitter containing the following text: “I want to win an iPad for #College from @loanmarketplace! http://bit.ly/aXU2Zb”
Entrants may enter once on Facebook and as many times as they’d like on Twitter, with one Entry being credited for each eligible “Tweet” on Twitter. Entries will be tracked and verified by the Sponsor using tracking websites and software as deemed appropriate by the Sponsor.
CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO ALL ENTRIES. By submitting an Entry (or accepting any prize), each Entrant understands and agrees that their Entry and name may be posted online to the Contest Facebook Page and OvertureMarketplace.com, without further compensation or review, and will not be returned. Sponsor reserves the right to crop any Entry in whole or in part or request submitters to do so, in order to be viewable online. Entrant further agrees to release Sponsor from any and all claims that any such use by Sponsor, including any commercial advertising presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented and/or prepared by or on behalf of Sponsor, infringes the Entrant’s rights with regard to any elements, characters or ideas contained in its Entry.
Content must be intended for a family audience and must, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Sponsor, be suitable for a general audience and must not contain any nudity, sexually explicit, disparaging, libelous or other inappropriate content. (a) Entry must not contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service other than the Sponsor’s. (b) Entry must not contain any trademarks, copyrighted works or other intellectual property (other than as owned by the Entrant). (c) Any elements appearing in an Entry, must be the Entrant’s own original work, created solely by the Entrant. Use of anything that is not the Entrant’s own original work, may result in disqualification. (d) Sponsor reserves the right to reject any Entry that it deems, in its sole discretion, to violate any of these content related requirements. If the content of the Entry does not meet the requirements listed above, the Entry will be removed from the Student Loan Marketplace website and all associated websites.
5. THE PRIZE. One (1) Winner – will receive a “prize” of an Apple Gift Card for the value of an Apple iPad (WiFi only, 16 GB). The prize does not include money for any data usage, external hardware or software, accessories, warranties or any other item other than the device itself. The Winner will be responsible for ordering the Apple iPad from their nearest Apple Store or from Apple.com. APPLE INC. IS NOT A PARTICIPANT OR SPONSOR OF THIS PROMOTION.
Entrant must provide Sponsor with his/her name and shipping address no later than September 15, 2010. In the event this deadline not satisfied, the Entrant will forfeit the prize and the prize will not be awarded. No interest will be paid for the time between the date the winner is chosen and the date that the prize is issued. Winners under the laws of winner’s state of residence are responsible for the reporting and payment of all federal, state and local taxes incurred by the acceptance of the prize.
The student must confirm that he or she is a candidate for an undergraduate or graduate degree at an educational organization described in section 170(b)(1)(A)(ii) of the United States’ Internal Revenue Code Section 117.An “education organization” (under 170(b) of the Internal Revenue Code Section 117) means” An educational organization which normally maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of pupils or students in attendance at the place where its education activities are regularly carried on.
The prize cannot be assigned, transferred, exchanged or otherwise redeemed. Sponsor is not responsible for any costs associated with accepting or otherwise using the prize. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to the Sponsor and its agents to use winner’s name, likeness, and Entry Piece for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
Overture Technologies and the Overture Student Loan Marketplace will not retain liability for technical failures of the iPad device or damage incurred in the shipping or delivery of the device, or delays in delivery that may occur on behalf of the manufacturer.
6. HOW DO I WIN? At the conclusion of the contest period, the Winner will be selected by a random drawing of an Entry that was submitted during the course of the contest.
Three attempts to contact the potential Winner through their Facebook/Twitter account will be made. Exact means of contact is at the Sponsor’s discretion. If the potential Winner is unable to be reached within five (5) days of the third contact attempt, or refuses to accept the prize, the potential Winner will be disqualified and a new Winner will be selected and awarded the prize.
7. IDEA SUBMISSION. Each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that (a) Sponsor and other Entrants have access to and/or may create or have created media or other materials, ideas and concepts which may be similar or identical to the Entrant’s Contest Entry in theme, idea, plot, format, characters and/or other respects; (b) Entrant shall not be entitled to any compensation or other consideration because of the use by Sponsor or any other Entrant of any such similar or identical material, ideas and/or concepts; and (c) Sponsor’s or another Entrant’s use of material containing elements similar to or identical with those contained in the Entrant’s Contest Entry shall not obligate Sponsor to negotiate with nor entitle the Entrant to any compensation or other claim.
8. CONDUCT. By entering this Contest, each Entrant (and/or their parent or legal guardian) agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of the Sponsor and its judges and agents, which are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify and prohibit any Entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize who Sponsor suspects, in its sole discretion, of attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automatic quick voting programs) or intending to annoy, abuse or threaten or harass any of the Sponsors’ representatives or otherwise failing to comply with these Rules. NOTE: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER PERSON TO DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE ASSOCIATED WITH THE SPONSOR OR ITS AGENTS OR UNDERMINING THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW, AND SPONSOR AND ITS AGENTS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
9. RELEASE OF LIABILITY. Each winner, by acceptance of the prize, agrees on behalf of him/herself, his/her heirs, executors, representatives, assigns, administrators and next of kin to indemnify, hold harmless and release the Sponsor, its parent, subsidiary and affiliated businesses and each of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees, advisors, assignees, agents, representatives and any other person or entity associated with this Contest from any and all liability claims or actions of any kind with respect to or in any way arising from this Contest, participation in any Contest-related activity; and/or delivery/misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of a prize, including, but not limited to, liability for personal injury, bodily injury (including wrongful death or disability), damage to property, and damage or loss of any other kind. Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Web site users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or used in the Contest or by any technical or human error that might occur in the processing of Contest Entries. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error; omission; interruption; deletion; defect; delay in operation or transmission; communications-line failure; or theft, destruction, unauthorized access to, or alteration of Entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines; computer online systems, servers, or providers; computer equipment; software; or failure of e-mail or Entry on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to Entrant’s or to any person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in this Contest, downloading materials from Sponsor’s Web site or emailing Entries. Sponsor is not responsible for cheating or fraud by any Entrant. Any activities intended to disrupt or interfere with the proper play of the Contest or defraud Sponsor in any way will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Entrants who engage in any of the foregoing activities will be disqualified and will forfeit any prizes won. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, due to, without limitation, infection by computer virus, worm, or bugs; tampering; unauthorized intervention; fraud; technical failures; or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor that, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, could corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the contest. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of these Official Rules or any materials associated with the administration of the Contest or the announcement of the prize. In all events, the sole maximum liability of Sponsor and its affiliates shall be limited to any of the prize(s) set forth herein.
10. CHOICE OF LAW. Except where prohibited by law, all issues and questions concerning the constitution, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the Entrant and the Sponsor in connection with this Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Delaware in the U.S., without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Delaware, or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Delaware in the U.S.
12. PUBLICITY CONSENT. By submitting an Entry or accepting a prize, where permitted by law, each winner grants to Sponsor (and agrees to confirm that grant in writing) and those acting pursuant to the authority of Sponsor the irrevocable right without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including, but not limited to, the World Wide Web, in perpetuity and throughout the universe, his/her Entry, including, without limitation, the Entry and winner’s name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Contest, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.
13. PUBLICITY & OFFICIAL RULES: Along with the commencement of the contest, Overture Student Loan Marketplace will release: Press Release(s), Blog Post(s), YouTube Video(s), Facebook Post(s), and Tweet(s). All or no Entries may be solicited on the Overture Student Loan Marketplace Facebook page, blog, Twitter account, YouTube page and website. The Winners of the contest will be featured, along with their name, college or university name, and Entry, on the Sponsor’s website, blog, Twitter account, YouTube page, and/or Facebook page, as well as a version of these Official Rules, suitable for printing, at Sponsor’s discretion.
14. SPONSOR. OVERTURE TECHNOLOGIES, OVERTUREMARKETPLACE.COM, 6900 Wisconsin Ave, Suite 200, Bethesda MD 20814 sponsors this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel the Contest at any time and substitute another promotion in its place
FACEBOOK.COM, TWITTER.COM and APPLE INC. ARE NOT SPONSORS OF THE CONTEST AND HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITY REGARDING THE CONDUCT OR ADMINISTRATION OF THE CONTEST.
15. ENTRANT. Any person participating in the “OVERTUREMARKETPLACE.COM CASH FOR COLLEGE GIVEAWAY” Contest.